Monday, March 16, 2009

I did it!

Well, this weekend was the big five-mile St. Paddy's day run in downtown St. Louis. And I did it! Actually, even better than that, I did it COMFORTABLY!
The morning was clear and crisp and PERFECT weather for my first race. About 9,000 to 10,000 runners showed up, which was a record crowd.
My dad and I set a pace and stuck to it (Nathan stayed with us most of the way, until he got a burst of energy at the end and zoomed ahead with those tall-guy legs of his!). Once we got running, and chatting, and people-watching (let me tell ya, there were some CRAZY people out there!!) the miles seemed to FLY by! I could barely believe it when we finished, it went SO FAST! Since I enjoyed it so much, I'm actually thinking of doing more races. Not because I'm competitive, but just because I enjoyed the feeling of accomplishment. I think there's a run here in town this summer, and I might just have to go for round two!


Me and mom and dad, clown around before the race starts.


Nate and Dad walk in front of us as we head to the registration tables. I just really liked this shot, with the arch and the early morning light. Sometimes I really do miss St. Louis!


More morning shots ... as runners begin to congregate.


Me and my honey, who was my biggest fan through all of my training AND the race. Thanks sweetie!


Pinning on our super-cool numbers.


The mob gets ready to bolt. It sorta felt like the Oklahoma land rush. Or ... what I imagine that would have felt like. LOL!


The four runners! What a fun morning!

4 comments:

marzi said...

wow! super congrats to you! i am not a runner at all and can never understand how people are able to run mile upon mile! i would keel over! ;)

Cassie said...

Agreed! I would keel over as well! I actually got my workout in today just by looking at your pictures! HAHA! :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome and congrats! You should DEFINITELY be proud! You're motivating me to do more running now too! For a non-cardio, clogged-arteries, weak-hearted person like me, running 2 miles nonstop on the treadmill last night was a big deal!

NicoleS said...

Congratulations! That is SO cool! :)