Sunday, September 12, 2010

First "Fall" Hike

Fall is our favorite time of year to go hiking as a family.
And one of our favorite places to go is Grand Mere state park, only about 8 minutes from our doorstep.
We spent a few hours there this afternoon, enjoying the sunshine, scaling and sliding down the dunes, learning how to walk "quiet like an indian" in the forest, and just having some amazing time as a family.
Enjoy the photos!


On the trail.


Me and my baby girl.


Me and my honey.


Nathan shows the boys how to make a blade of grass whistle. Gabe asked what dad was doing and I said he was making a "wild mongoose" call. He believed me. Check out his face in this photo.


My silly kiddos!




Climbing up a dune!


A very steep hill, but Miss Rhy was a champ, as were the boys, who couldn't get enough of it!


My sweetie pies!


I told Nate this should be an add for Keen shoes.


Rhy, on top of a dune.


At the bottom, we played awhile in lake Michigan. Asher, being the bravest of my children, stripped down to his undies and waded in a few inches. The rest of us were content to watch, throw rocks, and lay in the sun. Here, the boys are tossing rocks.


Just a fun shot that I now have on my screen saver at home!

4 comments:

DawnK said...

Looks like so much fun! At Kohler Andrae, they don't let you walk on the dunes. Looks like those steep hills would be good for tiring out 3 active kids, too.

When we went up to Grand Marais, MN, in 2007, my kids spent an hour or two skipping rocks. The beach was all rocks, like what you photographed and since they were in the water, they were all smooth. They were quite good at skipping rocks, too. Me, not so much.

C Staude said...

What splendid fun on what looks like a PERFECT day! You guys really got the shots!
Did Gabe take the one of you and Nathan? If yes, He's getting to be quite good!

Katrina said...

He DID take that one. Not too shabby, eh?? :)
@Dawn: telling people they can't play on the dunes is like taking kids to a candy store and saying "NO SNACKS!" I can't believe Kohler Andrae does that that!! WOW!

amy7252 said...

Hey, thanks for sharing those pictures! Colin and I used to drive past the turnoff for that place on our way back to Missouri, and we would always giggle at "Big Momma State Park" and wonder what was there. Looks like a gorgeous place.