Monday, July 07, 2008

Home



Well, folks, it may seem like I dropped off the radar for awhile -- but yes, I'm still here! We've been quite busy in the past few weeks...living in three different states, packing up an entire house and moving it into storage while we hunted for a new one... and let me tell you a little bit about that hunt.
After several evenings of viewings, our realtor showed us a gem of a home, which we toured laughingly ... since it was WAY out of our price range. But we couldn't get that darn house out of our heads. A 1914, arts & crafts, bungalow style home with three bedrooms and two full baths -- and ... drumroll please ... a master bedroom (with a fireplace)that was 28 by 14 feet!!! (My bedroom in our old house was cramped, to put it mildly.)
To make a long story short, we decided we couldn't NOT make an offer on this house, which had made such a lasting impression...so throwing caution to the wind, we offered a number that was just under what we could afford...figuring they would laugh their heads off. They didn't. They came down $15,000 in price. We came up $3,000. They came down another $15,000. And the house was ours...for about $40,000 less than their original asking price. Huzzah! Yes, I do indeed LOVE the current housing market! What fun! Anyway, here are some photos.


The house has been vacant for a year, and like all old homes, needs some TLC. Check out this lampost...yes, there is one under that climbing vine ... the vine busted out the glass and took up residence inside!


The strangest room in the house is the kitchen, which was built in the sunroom. (Which will be very pretty when the snow is flying and I'm making a big pot of chilli!). A vermont marble countertop is pretty much the extent of this room...


Along with an older-than-dirt cabinet to hold our dishes. Yes, this will be the first room to get gutted and remodeled...SOMEDAY!!!


Here is (half of) my bedroom -- With a HUGE closet and a fireplace! Nathan will no longer look like Gulliver in the land of the lilliputians when he walks around his bedroom!


Our living room has a great fireplace and french doors leading into the kitchen.




The stairway goes two ways at the bottom...one way leads here, to the living room. The other way leads to an office...formerly, the old kitchen...but will now be a nice space for my desk -- a little hidey-hole to do my writing in!


Check out the ceiling in our dining room! Too fun!

Now all we do is wait for the VA loan to go through and hopefully, we close at the end of the month. I can not WAIT. In the meantime, I'll post more photos of the kids and the fun we're having in St. Louis with my folks as we wait for moving day!

8 comments:

amy7252 said...

WOW! Your new house looks wonderful! And even though the kitchen is weird, it looks really cool with all of those windows. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your house looks really roomy and beautiful. Lots of possibilities for decorating and stuff. I like your kitchen with all those windows.
Becky

DawnK said...

I love your kitchen, with all those windows! I only have two small windows and just wish I had a patio door. I have to be standing to see the birds at my bird-feeder. Also that long counter space would be a dream to me, too! We have a galley kitchen and there is hardly any counter space.

marzi said...

that house is gorgeous! i love, love the kitchen! what a dreamy view! can't wait to see photos after you've decorated!

Katrina said...

Thanks for all the kind notes you guys! I've missed you all during my month of non-blogging! Yes, we are indeed excited about the house. The best part (I think) is that it's a house with history. It's actually called "The Benjamin Stuart McConnell House" and comes complete with a binder full of historical facts about the people who have lived in it since it was built! Kind of cool, especially if you're a history geek like me. ;)

Fran Cee said...

Wow. You really are in Anne's House of Dreams. :D I'm totally going to have to plan a visit one of these days and meet your little family!

Jennadesigns said...

Katrina - your house is beautiful! What a dream... I bet you can't wait to move in. I'm so excited for you! Beats apartment living any day of the week, hands down! Hope things are going well for you - I miss you!

t.leaf + k said...

Wow. That place looks AWESOME! Not going to lie, I'm a little jealous!

Great seeing you the other night!