Friday, June 05, 2009

Open Wide!


This is a photo of a photo. They actually snapped a photo of Asher's first time in the chair for him to take home. How sweet!


Asher had his first trip to the dentist yesterday.
First let me say that I have the world's BEST dentist! Everyone in this woman's office is bright, happy, cheerful and relaxing to be around. Compared to my last dentist in Sheboygan, well ... I got anxiety attacks going into that place, let's put it that way. Nathan had to actually chew out a nurse there once, while Gabriel was getting a checkup. NOT fun.
But my new doc is wonderful. The best part? She doesn't make me feel like a misbehaving 8-year-old when it comes to reminding me to floss. She simply smiles and says, "I know it's SO hard to find time for yourself with so many kids, but try to remember to keep flossing." She smiles at me with a knowing grin. I smile back and say "Sure!" We both know that I probably will floss like a demon for about two weeks and then revert back to my evil ways. But it's all good.
Anyway, my boys had appointments at the same time as me yesterday. It was Ash's first time. As the boys were watching me, before they got called to their chair, Gabriel told Ash to watch me, and explained to him, "Now, see how you open your mouth? You say "AH!" just like mom. They might poke around a little with some pokey things, but you CAN'T COMPLAIN!" At this point, the dental hygenist was laughing so hard she could barely clean my teeth.
Finally, the boys got their turn. Ash had SOOOO much fun! I remember going to the dentist as a kid and having to swish the flouride, and how HORRIBLE it tasted. I HATED the dentist office. Now, they just paint the flouride on with a little brush. No harm, no foul. Ash picked bubbled gum flavor. He was over the moon. When I finished up, I found him in the chair, making rude noises with his mouth on the air tube that they stick in your mouth to suck up the water rinse. Yep, my boy had gleefully figured out how to make it sound just like a fart. Again, the dental hygenist was practically crying, she was laughing so hard.
I'm so glad my kids are amusing to people, and that somewhere in this wonderful world are people who enjoy their job enough to make it a pleasant experience for others. Hooray for Dr. McShane and crew!

4 comments:

DawnK said...

I'm glad it all went well. My kids have always been good at the dentist and if they didn't have enough time to watch the videos, they got mad! LOL! I'm sorry you had a bad experience with a Sheboygan dentist.

Fran Cee said...

Why is Asher wearing goggles?

Katrina said...

They are sunglasses. Apparently they give the kids these now, to keep their eyes safe, I guess. :)

Luke's parents said...

i'm so jealous! we've been here 6 years and still haven't found a dentist...it's time to start taking Luke but I would hate for him to have a bad experience that scars him for life. looks like ash was very brave!