Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Gabe's 8th Birthday

My oldest child turned 8 this weekend. EIGHT. If somebody knows where the last eight years went, please let me know, because they disappeared on me.

In honor of his special day, we threw him a birthday party on Sunday afternoon. We had most of the boys from his class over for cake, ice cream, and general mayhem. Actually, I shouldn't say that. While it was noisy and chaotic, it wasn't nearly so awful as I always think it will be beforehand.

The boys were all very well behaved, and they had a fabulous afternoon!


The boys of second grade/Christ Lutheran School ... except for Brenen and Andrew, who couldn't make it.


Gabe gets ready to open some gifts.


Playing Twister. These guys were really good! Nate had a hard time declaring a winner!


Playing Old West, shoot the can. The winner got a prize.


The boys again.


Blowin' out the candles. Gabe told me later that he wished for a Nintendo DS, which he got from us later than night.


Me with the cake. Boy, I look tired, don't I? Gabe requested a "red velvet cake from scratch." So I came through with it ... even the icing was cream cheese frosting from scratch!


A happy group of cake-eaters!


Being silly, we decided to take a photo of all of them pretending to sleep. I love the kid on the left with his face in his cake. Ah, boys ...


Gabe's new dirt bike, from us. Finally, he has a bike that fits his tall frame!


Rhy hitches a ride by standing on the back wheel. I guess all the kids do this now with their friends ... they build little standing posts into the bikes now!

5 comments:

C Staude said...

Love the photos! It looks like a GREAT time was had by all! Gabriel, you look totally happy to be EIGHT and we think your new bike is COOL!

Colin Roust said...

Hmmm...haven't heard them called "standing posts" before. Here's what else Gabe can do with those: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3315/3623813576_e74a131498_o.jpg

nhia said...

Gabe is so big now! Wow, has he grown! I give him two more years before he's your height!

DawnK said...

Wow, wasn't he just six, like yesterday? He is getting tall! Looks like he had fun! I think Rhylah really wants a ride on the back of his bike. She's getting big, too. Happy Birthday to Gabe!

+gmjameson said...

Love this. You're a good momma. And please tell Gabe, he's a good big brother - it's neat to see Asher in all of these pics. I bet he was having a BLAST. Wish we could be there for times like these!