Thursday, May 17, 2007

Boy, girl? Girl, boy?

Ohhhh, I can't decide!!!
Nathan and I go in for our ultrasound on Monday afternoon, and I'm very torn. I can't make up my mind if I want to know the gender of the baby! Does anyone have any convincing arguments? One part of me really wants to know -- just because! The other part of me really wants to be surprised -- like we were with Gabriel. And since I already pretty much know the exact day I'm having the baby (c-section again, hurrah) it seems that a little bit of mystery might be nice. So I guess I'm leaning towards NOT finding out. Although a coworker of mine wisely suggested that we ask the technician to write the gender on a piece of paper, seal it in an envelope, and take it home -- so that if I change my mind in two months, I still have the option of knowing one way or another. I'm not sure if the sight of that sealed envelope everyday would drive me crazy -- or give me peace of mind?! But it sounds like an interesting idea!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, I'm going to go with you should find out. My argument is this: despite knowing the gender of the baby, whether its a boy or a girl, you will still get to wonder if he/she has Nate's nose, or your eyes, if he/she has a full head of hair or none at all... Also, if you find out, you can repaint the nursery if it's a girl (think how fun it would be to make an extra-girly room after having two boys!). After having one boy, I would find out what I was having with the second child in the hopes that if it was a girl, I could go crazy with pink stuff! :)

Then again, I would hate to see you be disappointed if you found out you were having ANOTHER boy! So, I think if you could handle knowing you might have three boys, you should find out!

Katrina said...

I would never be upset or disappointed -- I can totally picture myself at age 40 with three teenaged boys, all taller than me and all beautiful and blue-eyed. But the surprise would still be fun! Oh...it's so hard to decide!! :)

amy7252 said...

Here's a cool idea that I read about somewhere online. A couple asked the technician to write the gender on a piece of paper and seal it. Then, they took it to a baby store and gave it to one of the salespeople with $50. They asked her to pick out $50 worth of gender-specific stuff and wrap it up so that they couldn't tell what it was. Then, they opened the "gift" at Christmas and got to find out what they were having. So, it was still a surprise, but they got to find out a little bit early.

Personally, I don't know how you can stand not knowing!! And even though you might not be disappointed with having another boy, I think it would be better to get the "disappointment" out of the way before the baby is born. The last thing you need is a let-down after giving birth!!

That's my two cents, but hey, I can understand the desire to be surprised!

Nhia said...

You know where I stand on this. Too bad I'm not there every night anymore to pester you with my best pitching job to find out the sex! And I agree with Amy -- it's better to prepare for the "disappointment" now, where you can have a few months to adjust where you're still a bit more emotionally stable :), rather than after birth when your hormones are really out of whack!

And in regards to your previous post about Mother's Day: Maybe John should hang out with Nate more. That way, Nate can pass his how-to-please-a-wife-especially-for-a-special-day tricks on to my clueless husband!

DawnK said...

I didn't find out, with both of mine, until the day they were born! I think the presence of that envelope would drive me insane and I would have to open it! LOL! Only you can decide if you want to know, or not! I kind of liked having the mystery.