Monday, May 21, 2007

It's a ...

My sister and I were chatting on the phone today, asking ourselves "who are the 'old wives' who come up with these famous 'old wives tales' and how did they get to be so smart???
I was honored this past weekend to be the godmother of baby Olivia, my good friend Heather's baby. Heather and I have been friends since the 7th grade. Talk about a long-standing, awesome friendship! Well, when we were back at Heather and Carl's house for the post-baptsim luncheon .. YUM! ... when I was sitting at a table with some of the women in Heather's circle of family and friends ... grandmas, friends of friends ... etc. One of the women claimed to know a trick for telling the gender of a baby ... she said she's NEVER been wrong ... so she asked for my wedding ring and tied it to a piece of string, and proceeded to dangle it over my palm. Now, the ring is supposed to spin around for a girl, and sway back and forth for a boy. Well, the ring spun MADLY around in circles, each of the three times that she did it. Which had every woman in the house convinced I was carrying a baby girl.
Well today we had our ultrasound.
We asked the ultrasound techie to just put the picture on the screen and let us guess the gender. He laughed and said OK! So he did. I was sitting there, not really sure what the heck I was looking at when Nate said, with confidence, "It looks like a girl!" Pause. Pause. Finally the ultrasound tech said "Yes, I think you're right." And my doctor soon confirmed it.
Now I know there's always the chance that an ultrasound can be wrong -- but I'm pretty darn excited! I started to cry, right there on the table. Asher started shoulting out "Baby! Baby!" as soon as he saw the ultrasound on the flatscreen. And Gabe was pretty thrilled as well. (Althought he didn't see any reason to "find out" the gender since he had already "ordered" a girl!)
We are so completely thrilled and exited!!
And I must admit, as nervous as I am about "how to handle" a girl (I'm so used to hanging out with little boys!!) -- part of me is really very happy that Asher will still by my "little baby boy." I wasn't ready, I don't think, for another baby boy to come along and replace my sweet Asher so soon. (although I'm sure I would have adjusted just fine) And Gabriel ... well, my darling Gabriel is in a league all his own!
As Nate and I ate lunch together, getting used to our wonderful news ... slowly.. I suddenly spouted off all the reasons I'm so excited to have a girl "Just think of all the fun, frilly dresses, pink things, pierced ears, Barbie dolls, tea parties, princesses, makeup, prom dresses, boyfriends and the wedding!!" His eyes looked huge when I had finished and he quickly began listing the firearms he was going to need to buy posthaste to keep the boys away. Awww... my little girl is so lucky to have such a loving daddy!!! She'll be the apple of his eye, I'm sure of it!

7 comments:

DawnK said...

Congratulations! See, I'm the opposite. I always wondered how I would handle raising a boy! I grew up with sisters and have only daughters! Maybe I'll get a grandson, someday! With 2 brothers, she might be more of a tomboy, though, but you never know!

amy7252 said...

Yay yay yay!!! I am SO excited that you're having a little girl!! There are so many cute little girl clothes out there -- you'll have a ball shopping for her. Congrats!

Fran Cee said...

HOORAY!!! One question--are you going to name her Marilyn Monroe? :D

Katrina said...

Hmmmmm....maybe Norma Jean. It's a bit more subtle.... Hee hee!! :) We are looking for unusual, yet pretty names however, so if anyone has any great ideas.... but we aren't giving away our final pick until D-day. We have to leave something to surprise people with after all!!

Nhia said...

CONGRATS! ... Emma, Eloise, Raina, I'll think of more later!

C Staude said...

How about "K" names like her mom??? I submit... Keira, Kora, Katryn, Kirsten, and Katya... just for starters....

PS... Tell Nate to forget the firearms... he needs a crash course in Barbies and Cabbage Patch Dolls! Any daddy who can sit through a tea party or a game of "restaurant" with a straight face will be a winner!

Katrina said...

Ha! Too true!