Friday, January 16, 2009

Another Snow Day!


Miss Rhylah wishes she could go outside. Brrrrrr! Not today!


Gabriel has yet another snow day today, this one due to cold, as temps are dipping to -15 with the windchill. So I'm enjoying another day home with the kiddos. It's actually been quite fun.
Yesterday, I discovered the best cure for writer's block is to have your 6-year-old write WITH you. Gabriel has been learning how to write stories at school, so while Ash and Rhy were marathon napping (from noon to 4:30!!) we sat at the dining room table and played soft music and both wrote. I worked on my stuff ... which had been giving me headaches because I was sort of in a block about it... and he worked on his own story ... FOR THREE HOURS! Every once in awhile he would go do something else, but then come right back, wanting me to turn the music back on so he could work some more. His story ended up being about 8 pages long and was called "The Castaways and the Pirates." It was VERY clever, and I was proud of his hard work.
We finished the day by devouring a crockpot full of yummy pork ribs that were so tender they fell off the bone -- and some warm corn bread with honey. A GREAT day! I'm looking forward to another one -- although it WOULD be nice to get outside one of these days when the temps aren't sub-zero!

2 comments:

C Staude said...

Sounds like a PERFECT day... send us some of the snow! We've got the cold.
How many snow days has Gabe had?

I am delighted to hear about how much he's enjoying writing! That is wonderful!

DawnK said...

Wow! He sure had a lot of persistence, with sticking with his story. Sounds like a quiet, enjoyable afternoon, while the little ones slept. He must be enjoying his journal!