Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Turning 30



Yesterday I turned 30. The big 3-0. It was a little rough, but not completely awful. My family spoiled me rotten and treated me like the queen for the day, which was very nice indeed! For dinner, Nathan cooked me a gourmet meal that was sooooo yummy ... pan-seared sea scallops with a brown-butter and Hazelnut glaze on a bed of arugula, and pasta with a shitake mushroom/creme fraiche sauce that was DIVINE! Then it was tiramisu for dessert (my favorite!). My hubby got me a beautiful diamond necklace, and the boys picked out some jewelry for me as well. Yes indeed ... spoiled rotten!


Pan-seared sea scallops for dinner! YUMO!



Things I realized while turning 30 yesterday:

1. Birthdays in my 20s were fun and carefree. I doubt I will feel that way about a birthday of mine again. Ugh.

2. I will be 58 when Rhylah turns 30.

3. When it comes to candles on a cake, a representative number makes the birthday honoree feel much better about their age. I blew out three, and felt somewhat mollified...

4. I don't know where to shop. While at the mall today, I realized that most shops are designed for women who are 20 and slightly on the edgey side. Or else for 30 or 40-somethings who are working professionals. What about stay at-home-moms in our 30s?

5. I kept adding up the years from 1979 till now, all day long, just to make sure I had the math right and didn't, accidently, miscount...Maybe I'm still in my 20s!! Foolish hope.

6. I feel the need to accomplish something significant. Of course, I'm instantly reminded of FRIENDS, the episode where Joey and Chandler decide to do something significant...

Joey: Everybody's doing stuff!
Chandler: And we just sit here. I mean if I die the only way people would even know I was here, would be by the ass print on this chair! Look, we have to do something. Okay? Something huge!
Joey: We could climb Mt. Everest!
Chandler: No-no, not something stupid, something huge.
Joey: No-no-no-no-no, I saw an ad for this video, people climb that thing everyday! We could totally do that!
Chandler: Why not?! I mean it’s just, it’s just climbing! It’s just, it’s just steep!
Joey: Yeah!
Chandler: We’re going to Everest! Okay, it would be nice to leave an ass print on Everest!

10 comments:

marzi said...

oh, 30's aren't so bad. i've been in them for 2 years now and so far so good! ;)

i totally hear you on #4! it's really hard to find stuff for our age. while i tend toward the younger trendier stuff, it doesn't fit me. but the other options seem like old lady clothes. it's a tough one.

Cassie said...

My answer to #4 is Gap and Banana Republic and J. Crew! Classic. Never goes out of style. Comfortable above all! :)

Happy birthday, friend. It sounds like you had a wonderful day with your family...and that meal! You KNOW your husband is a keeper, right??!! :)

Cassie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

How sweet! I knew Nate would do something thoughtful! Come by here next time you're in the area and we girls can go out and totally celebrate! And once the weather gets nicer, we really should think about Chicago!

30 ain't so bad ... as long as you don't dwell on it too much! To be honest, I've stopped thinking about age once I hit that milestone. The only time it comes up is when someone cruelly reminds me! :)

C Staude said...

From where I sit, you look pretty super at 30... enjoy every age, each one has it's advantages. For example, now you will get comments like, "I really can't believe you're in your thirties!" (and those will make your day!

+gmjameson said...

Ann Taylor. LOFT. Macys. :)

And look at it this way, I'll be 63 when Rhy is 30 ... oh Lord.

Love you!

amy7252 said...

"I don't know where to shop." Could not agree with you more on that one. The Abercrombie & Fitch-es of the world are too young (i.e. TURN THAT MUSIC DOWN!!) and I'm not quite ready for Chico's or Talbert's or whatever those working women stores are supposed to be. Sigh.

Welcome to the 30's, babe. It's not so bad here.

Katrina said...

It's funny you mention loud music...I drove to South Bend yesterday to buy some new winter boots, and I was in JOURNEYS at the mall (this shoe store for trendy young people), and the music was so obnoxiously loud that I was like shouting at the guy who was fitting my boots. Afterward, I asked Nathan ... has music ALWAYS been that loud in stores or am I just now officially old enough to be bothered by it??? Ugh!! How funny! (I bought the boots by the way, really kicky, fun North Face boots that were $50 off ... thanks Aunt Kathy and Uncle Jon!!)

DawnK said...

30? I turn 50 next March! I'll be 62, when Emily, now 17, turns 30! At 30, I was the new mom of Sarah, who was 7 months old, and there wasn't an Emily yet.

Sounds like you were well-spoiled on your birthday. What a yummy gourment meal on your birthday. Is that something your kids would eat?

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful birthday. And really, what difference does age make if you're happy and surrounded by people who love you?

And where's the picture of the jewelry? We wanna see!