Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Oh My NOLA! What an evening!


I haven't blogged yet about our amazing evening last Friday. I took the night off work and Nathan took me out to see Harry Connick Jr. at the Milwaukee Theater as part of a birthday present to both of us.
It was an incredible concert! Connick is on his New Orleans tour, with a full band, many of whom are actually from New Orleans, and WOW! He did a bunch of songs from his new "Oh My NOLA" CD, as well as a few old tunes from previous CD's. As it was Good Friday, he did an amazing version of "The Old Rugged Cross" that nearly got a standing ovation. But the best part was, that A.) He was funny and seemed likable (I hate it when stars come off as snobs) and B.) He sounded even better live than on CD, a rare thing indeed.
After the show, Nate and I drove around the corner to the back of the theater. Nate had taken this photo (above) at Preservation Hall a month before Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. As luck would have it, we had an extra 11X14 print that Nate had used to enter a photo contest here in Milwaukee, so he decided to go try and give it to him. When he got to the back of the theater, Connick was already done signing autographs, but Nate gave it to a security guy, explaining that it was a gift, and put one of his business cards with the print. The guy promised to personally give it to Harry, and even though we figured the odds were slightly against us, we were still pretty happy to think that possibly, our gift had gotten through.

A few days later, Nate recieved this e-mail at work:

hey nathan...

how kind it was of you to give me that incredible photograph - it's an amazing image... it really means a lot to me... i hope you enjoyed the show... take care

harry connick, jr.

5 comments:

C Staude said...

WOW! That is totally awesome that Harry took the time to thank Nathan! He really is a neat guy, and I agree even better LIVE than on CD! I feel really lucky to have seen him while he was St. Louis! Thanks again for that great birthday gift!

amy7252 said...

That is SO cool! I love watching HCJ on reruns of Will and Grace. He's quite charming (even if his character did cheat on Grace...)

+gmjameson said...

I love Harry. YEAH!!!

DawnK said...

Wow, that is so cool!

t.leaf + k said...

1. I'm REALLY jealous you got to see him in Milwaukee! Harry is a STUD.

2. I'm EXTREMELY jealous Nate got an e-mail from him! Nate should do his next photo-shoot :-)