Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Many many years ago ... in a land far far away...


So I was thinking back today, and realized that nine years ago this month, I was headed off to college to get ready for my first experience with Marching Mizzou -- our college marching band. What a crazy time that was! I had never marched in my life, and was about to spend several weeks sweltering in 90 degree plus Missouri weather while standing on blacktop for several hours a day in NO shade! What fun! At the time, you were horribly covered in slimy sweat and wondering if it was worth it, when at the end of the day, all you had mastered was the beloved Missouri waltz step. Joy joy. But looking back on it now, those are some awesome memories!
I recently had the opportunity to visit with Amy and Colin, who stopped thru on their way home to Ann Arbor Michigan. She's a great friend from college and the person who took the time to explain marching charts to me when I was just a pip-squeak college freshman at MIZZOU and had no idea what direction I was marching in. :) Colin was also in the band.
Recently, Gabriel has shown HUGE interest in marching bands, and keeps asking me about what instrument I played and how it all worked. I think I'm gonna have to get out my old videos to show him the sheer size and scope of what Marching Mizzou mania was all about.
The fuzzy photo is of our "squad" my very first year. Amy might have to help me with the names. I know Heather Brauer is on the far left. And then Amy and then I think the next girl's name is Kate. And then me on the end. We're making a U with our flutes and holding up 2 fingers because our squad was U-2. Seriously. And we thought that was pretty funny. The photo was taken in San Diego, where we went for the Bowl Game when I was a Freshman. Fun times.
On a totally separate note, Nathan gets hubby of the year award today. He knows I've been having a rough week, so this morning, he popped right out of bed and somehow herded both boys downstairs with zero noise levels so that I could sleep in a bit. Then, when I finally woke up, it was to the sight of my boys bringing me breakfast in bed on a tray! Nathan had made me an omelet with all the fresh goodies from our garden: zucchini, tomatoes, basil as a garnish -- it was lovely! Soooo yummy and such a marvelous way to be treated like a queen for an hour or two! Thank you boys! I love you so much!

3 comments:

C Staude said...

Ahhhh... a trip down memory lane! What prompted this entry? Was it hot in Sheboygan and you started missing the good ole days of summer band camp?

Fran Cee said...

Oh wow. Was it really that long ago? I feel old.

amy7252 said...

Nope, I don't remember Kate's last name either. I know it was Kate something. Heather Brauer is right, though. Ah, good ol' U2.