Thursday, July 06, 2006

This just in ... the world is warped.

It often happens that I read a disturbing story at work that is difficult to digest. It's part of my job. Especially since I spend a great deal of time scanning the AP wire for stories to put on various pages of the newspaper. In fact, one of the hardest aspects of my job is letting go of these stories when I come home. Too often, if I'm especially antsy or just plain NOT tired when I get home at 12:15 a.m., I find myself laying awake at night, bothered by something I read on the wire. Having heard similar comments from coworkers, I've come to realize that it's part of the baggage we have to carry as journalists. I may not LIKE to read about a man who kills 10 people etc., but it's part of the job.
So tonight, as I was sitting here putting together the Nation/World page for tomorrow's newspaper, a story broke around 9 p.m. "Subway rider attacked with power saws" And I can't help but think ... WHAT THE HECK!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD?
To enlighten you, a 30-year-old man went ballistic in a NY City subway system, and attacked random strangers with chain saws!!! Folks, I couldn't even make this stuff up if I had to! Check out this link, courtesy of CNN. (You have to click on the title of this blog entry to get there) It will make you never want to take your family on a public transit system again. Ever. YOWZA.

4 comments:

amy7252 said...

I bet Mr. Saw-Wielder will go to a cell with padded rooms. How could anyone sane do that??

Katrina said...

I know! What is the world coming to when we have to worry about this kind of stuff when we go out!! Crazy!!

C Staude said...

Wow! What I can't fathom, is a) how a guy could just walk around with power tools open and out in the subway...(no security? come on... it's post-9-11 here!) and b) how it sounds like no one really stepped in to help the 64 yr.old under attack! OMG! You'd think that 4 or 5 burly passers-by would jump on the idiot! You're right... the world IS Warped!

C Staude said...

PS- What TIME zone is eBlogger in?!!! I just posted at 10:48 and my post says 8:48a.m. on it! Makes me look like an early riser!!! Nice!